Wednesday, March 25, 2009

First Weekend Review/Sweet 16 Predictions





Oh yeah, March Madness is here and in full swing. But who are we kidding, it got off to a late start the first day's games were just a bunch of near upsets that ended up being 10 point wins that we'd have seen any way. So Thursday was terrible. Friday we got it started. Kansas surviving North Dakota State in the first round (imagine Gus Johnson's reaction to that one, I'd have take the one point blow to my pool just to hear Gus Johnson call that) Then Oklahoma State and Tennessee was a great game, as was Utah State vs. Marquette. I had Utah State in the Sweet 16 as my Cinderella but oh well it was still a good game.

Then Friday Night I just watched in awe of all the great games, Siena and Ohio State going at it for two overtimes with Siena pulling it out in the end in Dayton. Then the game that I thought was even better was the one overtime game in Boise between Florida State and Wisconsin. I thought that was the best game of the weekend without a doubt. The only other games you could make a case for are the OSU-Siena game and the stepping on the line ended Marquette-Missouri match-up. I don't even care if the FSU-Wisconsin game ended my Streak for Cash at 2 and cost me a bracket point, it was just an amazing game, no other way to describe.
I didn't watch any games Saturday because I had a family event (God whyed my cousin feel the need to get to married during March Madness) But I heard about the great ending in Portland between Gonzaga and Western Kentucky then saw the play on Sportcenter so that's about all I can really say about Saturday's games.

Sunday was ok, it had good games late but the early games were nothing special at all, Xavier and Arizona kept it close for a while but they both ended up handling their business like good teams should. Pittsburgh and Oklahoma State was a great game though. But the late games were pretty awesome, Michigan State, Louisville, and Missouri all having to come and win. Now whether or not Missouri deserved because of the guy stepping on the line, whatever it was still a really good game.

Now here is my Sweet 16 Preview for your enjoyment:


Midwest Region
1 Louisville vs. 12 Arizona (Friday at 7:07 Eastern, CBS)

A match-up I correctly predicted on my bracket and I won't let anyone forget that. Arizona's been a solid team all year, they were just bad against teams who had a high RPI, which is why I said if they got in they could do damage and was I right or what? They beat an overseeded Utah team and made Cleveland State's slipper fall off. So it was a pretty easy road if you think about it, now they get a much harder test in top overall seed Louisville, who hasn't look great. They get Morehead State in the game for a half and almost choked themselfs out in the second round against Siena. Louisville hasn't shot the ball well at all, plain and simple they to get better shooting or they can't win the whole (funny because we said the same thing about Memphis last year and they burned us). Louisville will need to get better in the backcourt to fight off the upset here because Arizona's backcourt has been awesome in the first two games. Point guard Nic Wise has scored 50 points combined in the first two games. Chase Budinger and Jordan Hill have also been good. That is why I think Arizona will put up a fight in this game, just put up a fight not acutally win. Budinger can not play man-to-man defense and he will probably get Terrence Williams to guard and that is where Louisville will take apart Arizona, along with another great game from Freshman big man Samardo Samuels.

So I like Louisville to knock out Arizona in this game



2 Michigan State vs. 3 Kansas (Friday at 9:37 PM Eastern on CBS)

These guys met earlier in the regular season with Michigan State laying down the law. Now Michigan State has looked great in the tourney so far, they beat Robert Morris, but who really cares it's Robert Morris and they survived USC, USC shouldn't have even been here and Michigan State played down to their level. Now Kansas did beat lower seeds like North Dakota State and Dayton, but they played great in the process. USC's guards tore apart Michigan State that is why that game was so close, now if USC's guards can eat up Kalin Lucas, why can't Sharon Collins. Plus isn't there like a Final Four hangover in a positive way for Championship teams, like once you win you usaully go to the FInal Four and lose the next year (unless your the Florida Gators). I had Kansas losing to West Virginia last round, but now that they are here I think they are a threat. But I don't expect the same numbers from Cole Aldrich, MSU did a nice job on Taj Gibson and Aldrich is no Taj Gibson. But honestly I thought Michigan State was overrated all year and I think Kansas proves me right Friday Night in Indy.


Kansas will beat Michigan State and move on to face Louisville.


West Region

1. UConn vs. 5 Purdue (Thursday 7:07 PM Eastern on CBS)

I had this game on bracket and I picked Purdue and I'm sticking to my guns and I will pick them here as well. Yes, UConn looked the best off all the one seeds in the first two rounds and yes Purdue played two incredibly close games. That said I think that helps Purdue more than it does UConn. UConn had the nobody believes in us factor, trying to prove to everyone they were a one seed, now everyone loves them so they've lost that and they haven't been tested in March yet, they've just cruised along. What happens when Purdue tests them, how will they react, I think not well. Plus Hasheem Thabeet gets hurt when teams punch him in the mouth, that is why Blair had so much success against him and that what Big Ten basketball is all about, who can get hit the other team in the mouth harder. Plus the Jerome Dyson will finally catch-up to UConn.

I like Purdue to beat UConn

2. Memphis vs. 3 Missouri (Thursday 9:37 PM Eastern on CBS)

This could and should be the best game of the Sweet 16, two teams with high powered offense, Missouri playing that weird but effective pressing defense that will finally test Tyreke Evans like no one in Conference USA has. This game is going to get up their in points, I could something like 89-85 or something really high. like that. I really hope Gus Johnson gets this region because if has the Purdue upset that I swear will happen and this game that will just be a slugfest, it'll really be Madness. I think Memphis has just enough toughness to off-set Missouri's speed. Memphis'' toughness and speed as opposed to Missouri's speed, will win them this one in a close high scoring game.

Memphis will beat Missouri


East Region

1. Pittsburgh vs. 4 Xavier (Thursday at 7:27 PM Eastern on CBS)

This is probably the easiest game to pick, Xavier got two easy games and had troubles in both. Pitt sucked the first round, no way around it, they just sucked. But I think they got Oklahoma State's best possible game and they still beat them. Pitt also proved in the Ok St. that they could just out score people, everyone out there thought it was just about defense and over powering people for the Panthers, now you have to fear their offense. I honestly wasn't that impressed with Xavier, so I think Pitt has is finally hitting it's peak in this tournament and they'll with drive right threw Xavier by at least ten points.


Pitt will be Xavier


2. Duke vs. 3. Villanova (Thursday at 9:56 Eastern on CBS)

This is probably might be the best game of the Sweet 16, Duke plays the high scoring, D'Antoni style run-and-gun, very perimeter based, Gerald Henderson, Josh Schyer, and Kyle Singler. Villanova likes to run but they can also slow it down and gets some points in the paint if they need to. A lot of people have said this will come to who has a better game, Gerald Harrison for Duke or Scotty Reynolds for Nova. I respectfully disagree. I think it will come down to who can slow the game down and dominate the paint and that will easily be Villanova. So I like Villanova to win this game but will definitely be a show, I like Villanova in a close one.

I got Villanova moving on to face Pittsburgh


South Region


1. North Carolina vs. 4 Gonzaga (Friday 9:57 PM Eastern on CBS)

I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV, but I know that Ty Lawson is healthy enough to have a great game Friday night. I'm pretty sure North Carolina will take this one pretty easily, UNC dominated Radford, yeah why whatever it's Radford. Then they handled LSU and I think they will do the same to Gonzaga who has looked less than great. They had to survive Akron they just took the lead at the end and held it. Then they had to have the last second, coast-to-coast drive to beat Western Kentucky. Now as great of a play that it's not a definitive way to win, so I think UNC will take this one pretty easily because they are just a better, more talented team.

UNC will beat Gonzaga


2. Oklahoma vs. 3. Syracuse (Friday at 7:27 PM Eastern on CBS)


This should be an awesome game, Johny Flynn leading Syracuse against Blake Griffin and Oklahoma. This is a tough game to pick, I had ASU here so I never really thought about it, but isn't there a saying like Backcourts get you two the Sweet 16 but big man win when your there. Which is why this game will go down to the wire with their guards keeping it close, but Blake Griffin is the difference in this match-up and he will pound the inside and dominate Syracuse as Oklahoma moves their way on to the Elite against Carolina


Oklahoma will take this one over Syracuse and face UNC in the Elite 8.




Then here are my quick for the Elite 8 which, knowing pick history will be wrong.


1. Louisville will beat 3. Kansas

5. Purdue will beat 2. Memphis

1. Pittsburgh will beat 3. Villanova

1. North Carolina will beat 2. Oklahoma


That is all, enjoy the games and peace out

No comments:

Post a Comment